Decorations and vegetation changes
This week I took the time to work on decorations and vegetation changes. I optimized our island generator so that it can procedurally (re)generate an island in the background. Moreover, it takes around 2 – 3 seconds to properly craft an island without hickups. Considering all of the things that need to be modified doing run-time, this is quite fast.
In any case, it’s time to decorate islands with props that have no function at all. We then have to follow up our lore and ideas about the world of Floatlands. I’ve added huge pipes around the islands, here is a quick work in progress generated island with some of them.
As a part of optimizations we had to reconsider the vegetation system. Up until now we were using modeled grass and bushes. That required a lot of performance to render if we wanted a dense grass scene. We’ve now changed to using only a couple of quads per grass and a black/white texture to go along with that. Here is what I came up with.
Let us know what you think, we will definitely try more bush variations, this is just a quick work-in-progress solution.
Making of the wildlife
Each biome will have it’s own wildlife. Consequently, I am making a variety of animals to inhabit the various islands of Floatlands. Each animal needs it’s own skeleton and a list of animations for different behaviours. After I make the animated 3D file, I add a ragdoll system to the skeleton in Unity. I then hand it in to Vili, who connects the animations to the animal’s behaviours.
This week I finished the animations on the boar model. I made the ragdoll systems for the boar and deer models for the green continental biomes.
After some troubleshooting on those models I started work on the rhino, which will inhabit the desert islands and started working on the animations for it.
Pre/Post Floatlands buildings
Previously my task was to define the construction materials that you can find in the floatlands universe. I then had to easily visualize where the actual materials came from. So I drew up a couple of concept sketches of the pre-disaster era buildings. After thorough research I found the architectural type and shape we’d imagine our buildings to exist. Then I broke them down into the materials which you’ll use for assembling. After the disaster, those buildings broke down into materials, which helped erect the shelters. To conclude, you’ll be able to discover them as you’ll explore the expanding world of Floatlands.
- Collision avoidance optimisation
I removed un-needed raycast for NPCs. If there are no obstacles in forward direction, then why do raycasts on side? So I dropped those unneeded raycasts.
- Importing deer into Unity3D
I had some problems importing deer 3D model which took a lot of time to troubleshoot. Importing a model produced weird shapes. In addition to that, blend files just didn’t want to import animations. I have cooperated with Andrej to resolve everything. Here is a successfully imported deer, ready for applying scripts.
- Path mesh optimizations
KDTree (structure used for pathfinding) is now optimized quite a lot. It builds a KD-Tree on the background thread and it has a dictionary for each unique mesh. It builds KDTree for unique MeshCollider only once. I added a variant of SAH splitting heuristics. I also reduced garbage collection and memory usage by removing un-needed arrays/lists. Because of this optimization island gets generated much quicker.
Join us on Discord